Monday, November 24, 2014

Everybody's Prayerbook

While occupying the corner at Chene and Lafayette with Good News in downtown Detroit,Everybody's Prayerbook,published by O'Neill D. Swanson of Swanson G. Funeral Home, was widely welcomed by pilgrims, the homeless, and others I met. "How may I pray for you?" I'd ask. People would say, "Get me a job." Then, I'd hand them the prayer book. The foreword to it is remarkable. It is among the best definitions I've seen on praying. "Prayer has been described as conversation with God." A Prayer for the Home Visit, we beseech Thee, O Lord, this house, and drive from it all the snares of the enemy. Let Thy holy angels dwell herein, to preserve us in peace; and may Thy blessing be upon us forever, through Jesus Christ Our Lord. Amen. Sharing the ardor of the Gospel is a joy. People engage readily. They are courteous and kind. I love occupying the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment